Tickets Now On Sale
The Pittsfield CityJazz Festival returns after a two-year hiatus caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The event spans two weekends, taking place from April 23 to May 1, and becomes part of Jazz Appreciation Month.
The festival is made possible by a $10,000 grant from The Feigenbaum Foundation, and sponsorships from Berkshire Bank, Greylock Federal Credit Union, the Massachusetts Cultural Council, Pittsfield Cooperative Bank, and WETF, the jazz station (www.jazzradioWETF.org).
The lineup includes something for everybody.
- “Jazz About Town” takes on two forms:
- the first Berkshires Jazz Jam (Saturday, April 23, at Mission Restaurant, 7-10pm), with rotating local artists; and
- the annual Jazz Crawl (Saturday, April 30, various venues through Pittsfield’s Upstreet Cultural District).[see updated schedule below]
- Jazz prodigy Ruby Farmer, a 16-year-old bassist who will be appearing during the 100th birthday observation of Charles Mingus. She will be accompanied by Benny Kohn (piano) and Conor Meehan (drums). Wednesday, April 27, 7pm. Berkshire Athenaeum, sponsored by the Friends of the Athenaeum. Free.
- The George Russell, Jr. Trio with vocalist Lydia Harrell. The Boston stalwarts make their Berkshires debut with a program of jazz and blues. Click here for more information and tickets.
- The first stop on a CD release tour by the DIVA Jazz Orchestra (“DIVA Swings Broadway”).
Plus: the latest iteration of the Berkshires Jazz Youth Ensemble will open for DIVA’s concert, a matinee on Sunday, May 1. Click here for more information and tickets.
And once again, jazz brunch at Dottie’s opens our closing day. Open 8am-2pm, with music from 10am-noon, featuring Dave Bartley and Pete Toigo.
Annual Jazz Crawl
April 30, 2022
Sponsored by Pittsfield Cooperative Bank
4-6pm: Benny Kohn | Jeff Stevens Duo
• Hotel on North, 297 North Street
5-7pm: Dave Bartley Trio
• Flat Burger Society, McKay Street
5:30-7:30pm: Ennis/McEachern Quartet
* Methuselah, 391 North Street (updated item)
6-8pm: Luke Franco Quartet with special guest Mike Fahn
• Berkshire Palate, 297 North Street
7-10om: Andy Kelly’s Gypsy Jazz Ambassadors
• 101 Restaurant, 1 West Street
8-10pm: Kris Allen Trio
• Methuselah, 391 North Street
8-10pm: Michael Junkins Trio
• RJ’s Restaurant, 109 First Street